We have been involved in School Direct teacher training with the University of Cumbria from its very first year and we are proud to celebrate an exceptional employment record, of 98%, for students completing our programme. For us, this is what School Direct is all about – helping trainees to not only find their first job, but the right role in the best school environment for them.
The Outstanding SS Simon & Jude CE Primary School, Bolton is the lead school in the successful Teach Bolton Primary Alliance, Knowsley Lane Primary leads Teach Merseyside and St James CE Primary is our lead school at Teach East Manchester.
You can find more information about our hubs here.
Our course is all about building connections – not only with colleagues, but with each other; over the year you will forge invaluable friendships to take forward into your career and build new and exciting skills, from applying metacognition to kayaking!
Our personalised programme supports you to:
Feel confident and NQT ready
Become an inspirational class teacher, with experience in both KS1 and KS2
Develop your professional skills and identify future leadership and career goals
Build your professional network across a range of local schools
Kagan, EAL, (On an average week:
• You’ll spend roughly half the days in your ‘home school’ gaining experience of being in the classroom, getting involved with and observing group work and lessons.
• University lecturers and specialist subject teachers from our alliance schools share their expertise over the remaining days, where you are taught alongside your cohort in the lead school at each hub.
• You will benefit from specialist training sessions on a variety of topics such as Kagan, EAL, recruitment (mock interviews and application feedback), developing professional skills and much more…
Over the academic year:
• You will complete two summative assessments (roughly 3000 words) from two of your five core modules.
• You will complete one assessed placement each term, where you work 5 days a week in school and your teaching is observed by experienced mentors.
• You will be given access to additional experiences such as well-being workshops, experience in special schools, Early Years and much more…
• Our partnership of excellent primary schools will enable you to experience a range of settings, with the added benefit of specialist subject teaching input from leading staff in the partnership, such as National Leaders of Education, Specialist Leaders of Education and outstanding teachers.
We pride ourselves on offering our trainees nurture and support right from their interview, and each year provide additional experiences, which focus on developing skills that will further build your confidence in the classroom.
The key features of the Teach North West programme are:
- Our activity induction day to get to know your cohort.
Developing peer-working skills with a small group of up to 15 School Direct colleagues within your location hub.
A mentor who cares about your personal learning journey and well-being. We provide well-being workshops from expert practitioners each term.
One block of assessed placements each term, where you will be in school full-time.
- Experience across Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
- Training, mentoring and coaching from highly experienced classroom practitioners.
- Recruitment skill building and advice from experienced school leaders.
- 1:1 Guidance and support both informally and through tutorials from dedicated programme leads.
- PGCE modules delivered by University of Cumbria tutors.
- A strong focus on broadening your pedagogical understanding, as well as practical skills.
- Successful completion leads to the award of PGCE and QTS, by University of Cumbria, with 60 credits towards your Masters Degree.
- The chance to meet our graduating cohort to ask questions and listen to their experiences at our graduation celebration.
- Continued care, support sessions and feedback opportunities during your ECT year.
Teaching is a career, not a course. We look beyond course completion and pride ourselves on offering a tailored and nurturing experience for all trainees. Join us for your teaching journey to help transform children’s lives.